Making a difference doesn’t have to be complicated and every single thing you do, big or small, can have a life-changing impact in someone’s life.
Bintu sent this beautiful story today and I’m sharing it with you so you can see how God is using every single thing you do in support of Future Hope Africa to make a difference in the lives of real people in Congo (DRC).
Beth Van Dyche – Future Hope Africa volunteer
Allow me to share this story about Binja’s wedding.
Weddings are very important for families here in Bukavu like in no place else. Some parents would prefer to marry their daughter no matter to whom. Especially if the girl is already showing inclination to loving worldly life. They fear that she will lose her reputation and with it her best chances to marry well. Because, to find a good man, a girl has to behave. Unfortunately, the opposite is not always true, because good men are not easy to find. Also, note that most of the times girls are married younger when their parents cannot afford financial costs of life.
Binja would be in the worst case of scenario, but GOD is merciful! She is an orphan as her mother died while she was still really small. Her father who is a mechanic, had no financial means to raise her and to pay for her tuition or that of her brothers and sisters. So, she was sent to live with her aunt not far from our education center in Bukavu, and attended a school next to the center.
Several times during her school years, she came to FHA and benefited from our part-year scholarships. I personally paid for her first year of University when she finished High school a couple years ago. But she did not succeed, she abandoned her studies. Then, because of her volunteering devotion at the center and in many of its activities, we offered her a scholarship to be trained in FBS (Focus Business School). She did well, and now, even if she does not have a university degree, we are sure that she can be successful in business.
In one of our Princess meetings, a few months ago, Binja announced she was in a relationship. All the sisters attending that day were very excited about that. And now she is married, we praise GOD!
I have been so blessed by what Binja’s adoptive parents said to me at her wedding. The mother, her aunt, publicly thanked us and the Princess Club that Binja was going astray and if she did not find the teachings and care that we provided, she would not have gotten to this lovely day! I felt so honored and blessed to be a source of blessing. Ever since, every time I see Binja’s aunt, she just keeps saying THANK YOU!
Her uncle did the same. When he saw me, he hugged me tight and said “Thank You! If you did not dissuade Binja of going back to her former life, we could not have saved her to reach this day!”
I was so proud of this and thought I would share it with you. It’s our pride. It’s YOUR pride! Thanks a lot, to all of you.
There are so many ways you can make a difference today:
- pray for the children and adults we serve in Bukavu
- pray for our staff and volunteers in Bukavu
- pray for the success of the programs offered in Bukavu (especially the upcoming VBS program)
- pray for the success of FHA to fund the education center in Congo (DRC)
- pray for the Board and volunteers here in the U.S.
- share this blog post on Facebook, Twitter or other social media sites using the buttons below
- shop through Amazon Smile* – smile.amazon.com/ch/46-0640458
- talk to people about FHA
- start a fundraiser for FHA
- ask your church to partner with FHA (for VBS or other programs)
- learn more about FHA and tell your church or other group about what we’re doing in Congo (DRC)
- plan for Bintu to speak to your church or other group next time she visits the U.S. (we’ll let you know as soon as there are dates for her next visit)
- volunteer with FHA here in the U.S. (email Kristin here: email@example.com)
- donate to FHA by visiting our secure donation page here – https://www.futurehopeafrica.org/donate
- brainstorm and think of other ways you can make a difference…
*Shop through Amazon Smile every time you shop Amazon and choose Future Hope Africa, Inc. as your designated charity. Amazon will donate a portion of your spending to Future Hope Africa at no cost to you. How awesome is that?